Have you ever felt like you're just going through the motions, living your life on auto-pilot? I few years back, my therapist asked me: "When do you play?" and my answer was: "What do you mean... play?". You, me... we all get caught up in our daily routines, and before we know it, time has passed us by and your funniest stories are from that camping trip 20 years ago!
But it's never too late to play, to start living a life that excites you.
Finding your passion is about more than just doing what you love. It's about feeling fulfilled and purposeful in your life. So how do you find your passion as an adult? Here are some tips:
- Start with self-reflection. Take some time to think about what brings you joy and fulfillment. What are your values, beliefs, and interests? What are you naturally good at?
- Try new things. Sometimes, we don't even know what we're passionate about until we try it. Take a class, volunteer, or join a group that aligns with your interests.
- Follow your curiosities. What are you curious about? Follow that curiosity and see where it leads you.
- Take action. Once you've identified your passion, take action to pursue it. Create a plan, set goals, and take small steps every day to move closer to your passion. This blog here, it's part of my action plan!
- Be open-minded. Your passion may change over time, and that's okay. Be open to new experiences and opportunities that align with your values and interests.
Reflecting on your passions can be a powerful exercise to help guide you towards a more fulfilling life.
Here are some open-ended questions to help you start finding your passions:
- When I was a kid, I dreamed of…
- If I played hooky from work for a week, I’d spend time…
- I am the go-to person when my friends need help with…
- I’ve only tried it once or twice, but I really enjoy…
- The closest I come to a runner’s high is when…
- What sparks your curiosity?
- When was the last time you felt truly fulfilled?
- What would you do if money were no object?
- What activities make you lose track of time?
- What are you most proud of in your life so far?